Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
The program that started the Mindful revolution…
8 weekly classes (2.5 hrs ea – each Tuesday 14 July-1 September)
+ 1 full ‘Day of Mindfulness’ (Sunday 23 August – 9.30am-4.30pm)
+ your 100% participation
= life-changing experience
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an evidence-based, user-friendly program that brings the principles of mindfulness meditation into everyday life by teaching specific skills and practices to help break cycles of anxiety, stress, unhappiness and exhaustion.
This program is run over a period of eight weeks, with recommended home practice allocated between each class. This extended period of time provides a beautiful container for growing these new skills of meditation and mindfulness, embedding them within the thread of your day-to-day life and being able to actually see the benefits of this practice take root in your experience.
Please go to my MBSR Current Program page to find out more and come on board!
Online during this time…
and there are benefits!
The online format allows you to attend this course from the comfort of your home. Depending on the state-of-play by late August, there is a possibility that the full-day session may be held in person. However, the online format works very well with this program, giving opportunity for a wonderfully genuine face-to-face experience.
All you need is a private space that is warm and comfortable, in which you have room to move, lie down, and be part of each class via your device and internet connection. No travel through the dark, cold nights of winter, while you learn some vital new skills that will support you for the rest of your life.
This is the same program as televised on ABC Television’s Catalyst program last year – there are many Mindfulness courses and classes available out there these days, but this is the ridgy-didge AND extensively researched Mindfulness program that started the modern Mindfulness ball rolling…
The Mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) course opened a portable toolkit that I never fully understood I (already) had. Cherise’s broad experience and inclusive approach combining simple yoga and guided meditation gives life and context to the structured elements of the course. The insights shared and establishment of regular practice has been both challenging and profoundly rewarding. It’s a toolkit for life.
This program is for you if…
- You are prepared and motivated to participate 100% (including suggested home practice)
- You have ever felt the pace of your life is ‘out of control’, or you’re ‘just not feeling right’.
- You want more ease and peace in day-to-day life.
- You seek to enhance learning, concentration, creativity, personal resilience and professional effectiveness.
- You have job, relationship or family pressures that you find stressful, perhaps with symptoms such as headaches, irritability, high-blood pressure, fatigue and sleep disturbance.
- You have more serious conditions including mild depression, anxiety and panic disorders, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease and/or chronic pain.
Your facilitator and guide –
I came to Australia from Canada in 1989, on a personal spiritual adventure quest. These days I live in the most beautiful Fleurieu region, just a few minutes outside of McLaren Vale. I am so lucky to have beautiful gigantic trees and magical vistas to look out on from my home verandah.
Along the way in my professional career as a graphic designer, life circumstances led me to taking up some regular practices of mindfulness and yoga in 1998. Truly, these practices have sustained me through thick and thin over the intervening years.
The changes I experienced inside as a result of regular mindfulness meditation and yoga were compelling, and led me to teacher training through some reputable Australian training organisations in the early 2000s. The training itself has been rich learning ground and development of my understanding of how powerful these skills of mindfulness actually are, how fundamental they are to a life well-lived.
And I absolutely LOVE this MBSR program – teaching it brings such learnings, always, and delight as I see people develop their own skills and strengths in mindfulness and meditation.
I very much look forward to welcoming you into this program.
Our Program Schedule over the eight weeks…
Week 1 – Recognising the Present Moment
- interrupt your “automatic pilot”
- slow down and pay attention to your immediate experience
- use body sensations as an anchor in the present moment
- move from ‘doing’ mode into ‘being’ mode
- notice the flow of thoughts, feelings and sensations that arise in this moment.
Week 2 – Get Acquainted with your Breath
- use the breath as a way to anchor yourself in the present moment, and recognise emotional states
- cultivate a sitting practice using the breath
- use hearing/listening to centre yourself and anchor yourself in the present
- honour and accept all of your experiences – not just the ‘good’ bits
Week 3 – Practice, Practice, Practice
- practice patience and acceptance of yourself
- explore a moving practice
- learn about the stress reactivity cycle and stress physiology
- use movement practice to explore limits, and cultivate strength and flexibility of mind and body
Week 4 – Stress and Emotions
- learn more about stress reactivity and emotions
- explore emotions in a creative and accepting way
- use metaphors to work effectively with strong emotions
- use the bodily sensations of emotions as a way to ground in to the present moment
- recognise and interrupt the thoughts which are associated with painful emotions
- use the breath as a way of coping with intense emotions
Week 5 – Stress and Thoughts
- remember that thoughts are not facts (even the ones that say they are!)
- explore the process of thinking and get some perspective on your thoughts
- recognise unhelpful patterns of thinking
- interrupt ruminative thoughts with focus on the breath and sensations
- use metaphor as a creative way to interrupt difficult patterns of thinking
- oscillate between ‘thinking’ and experiencing the present moment
- effectively label thoughts in order to make space between ‘you’ and your thoughts.
Week 6 – Interpersonal Mindfulness
- pay detailed attention to the ‘other’
- listen and see others in more flexible and accepting ways
- use mindful contemplation as a way of cultivating acceptance and compassion for yourself and others
- explore patterns of relating through mindfulness.
FULL DAY: Embed and deepen your Mindfulness Practices
- cultivate sustained curiosity into the ‘waves’ of sensations, feelings and thoughts over the extended time period of the day
- use silence as a path for ‘settling’ in oneself
- cultivate a sense of community and connectedness through silent practice together
- develop concentration and strength in practice
- NOTE: This day may be held in-person or via Zoom, to be decided as a group
Week 7 – Living on Purpose
- integrate what you have been learning in to daily practice
- reflect on some options about caring for yourself and making choices in life
- develop a clear picture of what serves you and what doesn’t
- begin practising without the supplied recorded meditations… all on your own! (here is liberation, folks!)
Week 8 – Making Mindfulness a Part of Everyday Life
- explore what you have achieved through the practice
- recognise that living mindfully is a process of ongoing practice
- explore choices about continuing to support this practice in your life
- pay attention to how it feels to be ending the course
- give your feedback about the program
Value for money – what your investment includes…
- An initial phone interview with me to help clarify your goals for taking part in this program.
- 8 weekly 2.5-hour classes run via Zoom in a live online format.
- A ‘Day of Mindfulness’ to help deepen and embed your practice skills, as well as experience the profound power of silence in a group setting.
- A set of 10 pre-recorded meditations to keep and practice with at home, plus access to a range of other recorded meditations.
- A carefully-curated manual packed with short readings, tips, exercises, poems, journalling prompts, and more, to follow along through the course and keep track of your progress. This will be posted to you after you register, just before program begins.
- A weekly email from me with additional tips and ideas for super-charging your home practice.
- Key pointers for spotting your habitual limiting patterns of thought and emotion; and how to transform them.
- In-depth guidance for setting up a life-long practice that can continue to support you.
Your investment to enrol… special online price
- Join in this Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program online via Zoom, with me to participate in 27 hours of direct classes, plus the establishment and development of your lifelong practice of Mindfulness.
3 x monthly payments of $150If you have been financially disadvantaged by the CoVid-19 Pandemic situation, and yet you are keen to participate in this program, please give me a call and we can discuss how we can manage this financially. Don’t let lack of money stop you if you are really keen.